Lesson Plans • Resources • Activities
The BFG Super Pack
Roald Dahl’s classic The BFG is the story of an orphan named Sophie who has been kidnapped by a giant. Luckily for Sophie, the giant is a BFG. He is not like other giants who delight in eating human beings. This giant is a Big Friendly Giant who has a unique way with words. Students will delight in Sophie and the BFG’s story while learning about figurative language and the ways authors use words to bring stories to life.
This Book Club Super Pack includes a Common Core aligned lesson plan and set of resources designed to support small group reading instruction.
Get everything you need to run a successful Book Club using The BFG by Roald Dahl:
- Interactive Lesson Plan for 7 Book Club Meetings Focusing on Figurative Language
- Chapter by Chapter Discussion Guide
- Chapter by Chapter Vocabulary Guide
- Book Club Calendar
- Conversation Prompts
- Expectations for Book Club Anchor Chart / Student Reference Sheet
- Student Self Evaluation Forms
- Running Record Assessment Tool
- Student Reading Response Guide
- Comprehension Assessment Rubric
- Common Core State Standard Assessment
Each package includes a list of specific vocabulary words found within the book and a set of resources to help students build their vocabulary, practice using new words, and to become more aware of new vocabulary while working and reading independently.
The BFG Vocabulary Connections
Before your students can fully comprehend and enjoy The BFG, it’s helpful to review new vocabulary used in the story. Either download the The BFG Super Pack or this individual Vocabulary Builder for resources and activities that support Tier 2 and Tier 3 vocabulary growth through fun and productive interactions with new words.